Friday, January 25, 2013

I miss the old persephone

So here I am, two weeks late and a dollar short i begin writing my blog. I've never blogged before, I only have kind of an idea what it's all about, thus I don't have anything especially valuable to say at the moment.

I miss the old Persephone. My girlfriend was recently talking about how she read the myth of Persephone in another class, and it reminded me that the ancient Greeks had a very legitimate understanding of the cycle of the seasons. Persephone is representative of plantlife (which is in many ways representative of life as a whole to us, as humans), so it is only fitting that when she goes to live as queen of the underworld for half a year the entire world seems to die. I suppose winter is necessary for us to appreciate the summer, but looking outside right now I really wish Hades hadn't kidnapped and married one of my favorite deities. During winter she is the queen of the shades and spends her time administering punishments to people in Hades. I know she'll come around, but in Montana she takes a while to do it. The moral of this myth? Keep potted plants in your house during winter; it makes it seem less sad that Persephone won't be around for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment